Tuesday, March 16, 2010

A Break In The Action

Whew, its Spring Break.......7 weeks down, 9 weeks to go. I finally have come to the realization that I can do this......and not only that, but I was made to do this. Medicine is something I dreamt about as a child, pouring over medical school catalogs while in mere JrHigh. The path I followed didn't lead me there after all, but as in all things, everything happens for a reason. My 16 years as a SAHM will always be my greatest accomplishment no matter what life holds for me in the future. But, now is the time for me to once again follow that dream and become a part of a system I have great respect and admiration for.

So school.......its been a highly impacted 7 weeks full of labs, needles, medication orders and care plans.........all preparing us for what lies ahead.

Clinicals.

Yep, after this week we are heading for the hospital to show off our new skills. Like baby birds that have only begun to realize that their wings do more than just keep us warm.......we will spread our wings to actually accomplish something worthwhile.....caring for those in need. We'll begin to fly.

Of course Momma Bird (or in my case Pappa Bird, sorry Jon, that's you) will be watching over us very carefully, making sure we don't make any crash landings or get too brave and think we can fly solo far too soon....it is security knowing they are there, watching out for you.

I'll miss the Lab of course......we've eaten tons of food, stuck things in every orifice of a dummy and I am even guilty of spooning Janet, our dummy, in order catch a 20 minute nap after potluck. Hey, its tiring in there........don't judge!

Of course the 6:30am starting time at the hospital has me less than enthusiastic, I have stocked up on the required Frappacinos and RockStars in anticipation. I'll have a new partner, one I was worried a little about at first. I'm a pretty strong personality, and she's a pretty stong personality. But after talking to her a little bit I'm kinda excited.......I think we'll be a pretty good duo. And like she said, if we don't get along we'll just "take it outside". Heck I haven't had that kind of offer since I was in high school. Bring It!

I'll try to continue to update, although I know with weeks inbetween I am missing so much.........I just can't seem to muster the time and energy to do it more often than that..

Til then.....

No comments: