Wednesday, July 2, 2008

1000 Splendid Suns



Well I'm ashamed to say I have been sorely slacking in my reading. I go through ebbs and flows and with my job and fires and just life in general its been a definite "ebb" time. So I am working on my 888 list and picked up A Thousand Splendid Suns.

This is a good book..........I don't think its "great", nor does it deserve all the critical acclaim that Oprah gives it (but then again something Oprah endorses is usually a screaming siren in my head to stay away from it). But its a good book. It is enlightening.........not in a spiritual sense.........but in the bigger world sense. We in America are lulled into a sense of well being and safety and it is easy to forget that much of our world lives in chaos and violence. I think this is a good reminder of the struggle our fellow humans face everyday.

So, I recommend it.........it is a quick read and while the subject matter can be heavy it is well written. I have not read The Kite Runner, and probably won't, but I've heard that others like it as well.

Happy Reading!

1 comment:

Urban Mom said...

While I completely agree with you on the "run from Oprah" thing, I was much more enthusiastic about this book. I was totally sucked in and was impressed by how well he wrote from a woman's perspective. And I was a trainwreck at the end, same as with Kite Runner. But you're right -- we sometimes need a stark reminder of how cushy we have it. Don't get me wrong, I'm not the sort to want to go backwards. But now and then, it's good to put our own problems into perspective against what so many in other folks in the world deal with.

Geez, long and windy today, huh?

Happ 4th!