Saturday, June 21, 2008

Vampire Hours

Perhaps it has something to do with the fact that I'm watching old episodes of Angel......the spinoff show from Buffy the Vampire Slayer

Or perhaps its the once a week NOC shift I'm working in the ER

Either way, I feel kinda "vampirish" at least one day a week I do.....

So my NOC shift is 7pm to 7am. Now I'm normally a night owl kinda girl, but let me just say that 4am is a whole other ballgame.

I did some reading and found that our seratonin levels fluctuate, as does our body temperature, around the 2-4am time and this causes a change in our body functions..........from digestion to alertness and ability to make decisions. I also found out the hard way that you are WAY hungrier during the night shift than during the day. It may be partially a boredom thing......but there is something biological too.

So, now my challenge is to eat healthy. The people in the ER are all going to die young if their diet is any indication. They live on Monsters, Red Bull, candy bars and Cheez Its. I tried it and thought I was going to throw up for the 24 hours following my shift.

So help me out and give me some original ideas on good food choices. I know about fruit and cut veggies w/dip........I need outta the box ideas as I get bored easily.

While you're out there.............some ideas for my downtime would be great too. Crossword puzzles, Tetris, come on now I have to keep my brain from turning to mush during the lull........

4 comments:

Urban Mom said...

Don't know if I have any real suggestions... but I LOVED Buffy and Angel! Seriously, my husband knew to not. bug. me. during either one. Then I got a friend hooked, and her husband could not. bug. her. during the shows either. Cordelia was so much fun, so was the young Brit guy. Sad to be so enthused about a TV show, I guess. But hey, we all have our guilty pleasures! And it's always fun when someone else shares them.

=-)

Redefining Paradise- Rachel said...

I hear ya.......my mom is hooked too, so we talk about the shows and everyone just stares and says "huh?"

Wendy Mayo said...

No way! I've been watching Angel lately too! I'm gearing up for the finale of the Twilight series and the motion picture coming out soon.

Redefining Paradise- Rachel said...

I hear ya Wendy.......lets go see the Twilight movie together, huh? Unless your boys want to see it..........LOL