Saturday, June 14, 2008

Evacuated from Our Home the last 2 days

Well I think I have a good excuse for not blogging..........we were evacuated Thursday afternoon as an uncontolled fire starting crawling up the canyon toward our little town and our home. It took us 2 1/2 hours to get out of town after I had to walk home 2 miles from work. I sent my mother home to start packing and to get my son who was home alone, but it left me without a car. We were able to get most of our animals but had to leave 3 of the cats since they wouldn't come out. We dropped off the animals at the shelter set up by Search & Rescue and ended up at a shelter set up at a local church. By the time we got there they were full so we all slept in the cars. Last night, with a lot of help from the guys at my husband's work, we were able to get a hotel room for my husband, son, my mother and me.

This is my son's college that he would have been at...he was waiting at the bus stop that morning when I got news that they cancelled class and I went to pick him up at the bus stop.......even the bus driver hadn't gotten the info that class was cancelled yet........within a couple of hours it was burning simultaneously on 3 sides of the college. These awesome firemen were able to set back fires and kept the college from burning.

I'll have more later..........including photos I took while trying to drive out of town at a crawl........watching the flames move up and down the mountain was an incredible and scary site. There is still smoke everywhere and I've got one eye on the news.......but for now, we are back home.........safe. That is more than I can say for 2 friends of ours..........one from my husband's work and one from mine, they both lost their homes.

Prayers for the people still not in their homes, those that have no home left, for the firefighters and Search & Rescue..............God's blessing on you all......

2 comments:

Urban Mom said...

Blog again when you can, let us know that you're doing alright!

T said...

I'm so glad you and your family are safe and at home! How horrible for your coworkers. Prayers are with them.