Sunday, April 13, 2008

His First Tux





My baby boy is growing up. There he is on the right with his first tuxedo on, at his first dance and he invited his first girlfriend (not the girl in the picture). He is part of a group called the Paradise Dancers.........a group of teens that get together twice a week for 2 hours each day to learn to swing, fox trot, waltz, and my son's favorite..........tango. This guy does it for free, as a safe and productive activity for youth here on the ridge....and here is one mom that thinks he's doing a great job. That's me dancing with my son on the right........a proud moment for me, tinged with a bit of sadness. It is another step in the growing up process.......I know it........but it still hurts. See, I wasn't his first choice for dance partner, his new friend (who just happens to be a girl) was.

Sigh..............

I'm happy for him.........he' a good kid................actually he's a great kid......I guess just when you think you are ready for them to grow up they go and do it and you realize you weren't ready at all. Funny thing is, is that they keep doing it anyway............growing up that is........regardless if you are ready or not, so you better get on board!

So, in a reluctant way.........I'm getting on board. I'm excited for him and a little scared. I want him to make good choices.....now is when we see how we've done as parents.........the real test begins.

But ahhhhhhh, that tux..........it almost makes it all worth it.

1 comment:

T said...

Oh how sweet! I know what you mean - we want them to grow up and be more mature and take more responsibility but at the same time we want to wrap them up and keep them forever!