Monday, April 14, 2008

When Bad Relatives Happen to Good People

This pretty much sums up my feelings about trying to be civil to my MIL.

I could tell you that I have a mother in law and most of you wouldn't need to know another detail but would understand completely what I mean by that one statement.

Do you ever feel like Pavlov's dog who continues to go back to the feeding tray, only to get shocked again........you walk away thinking "where did I go wrong this time" and "why, oh why do I keep going back.............am I REALLy that hungry"

I do.

In fact I'm dedicated to the pursuit of NOT being Pavlov's dog anymore. This is my pledge.

No longer will I initiate pleasant conversation that I know will end up in a guilt trip
No longer will I ask how she is since all conversations revolve around her anyway
No longer will I go out of my way to try helping her actually have a relationship with her grandkids (that boat has sailed)
No longer will I make excuses for her bad behavior to my children
No longer will I waste my energy lying in bed thinking of ways to make her disappear without getting arrested
No longer will I allow someone who does not matter hold any control over me by making me angry
No longer do I acknowlege her as a part of our family..........she is simply just related by blood

Harsh? I know. But true............sad, but true. Her own son feels this way about his own mother.........that is even sadder. But, at some point.........going back to the feeding tray over and over and over again......isn't about turning the other cheek, or giving another chance........its about control and its about being a glutton for punishment.

I'm just not that into pain.

5 comments:

Florence said...

wow. hope she doesn't read your blog.

T said...

You've inspired me. I've done the crazy mother post and now I must do a crazy MIL post. It really is good to know ya aren't alone. We all have them in our family.

Redefining Paradise- Rachel said...

No worries there florence........that would require her to be remotely interested in anything we do. I do realize it is harsh, and I reconsidered posting it.....but it is my blog, and is one place I can completely be myself. If I thought she would have access to it, I would not have posted it.

Redefining Paradise- Rachel said...

tiffany........your post inspired me to write.....you'll have to let me know when you get your crazy MIL post up :)

Urban Mom said...

You. Are. Not. Alone!