
Okay, so about a month ago my daughter's teacher pulls me aside and tells me that another student's mother came in and complained to the principal that my daughter marked up her son's new basketball jersey with a permanent marker.
Okay.........I say.......we'll try to clean it, if not we'll pay for the shirt.
So we actually get this shirt in our hot little hands and we start looking for the stain. And we keep looking.................and looking.
On the back of the shirt is one said smudge of approximately 1/4 of a centimeter of black Sharpie. I literally almost broke out the magnifying glass to see it.
I take the shirt home, wash it, do stain treatment........it lightens,but is not completely gone. I then start to get irritated.........am I really going to pay $50 (that's what she says it costs) for a shirt that has less stains on it than any piece of clothing in any of my kids' closets?
So I talk to the principal and the teacher and they both say the whole thing is insane and they won't LET me pay for the shirt..........ridiculous............and I concur!
Fast-forward to yesterday. Said woman and her son are taking 2 other students from class on a field trip. In their car said mom tells her son that my son is so immature and that he isn't very smart. She then asks student in the back seat if his twin sister (my daughter) has a brain since it seems like since they are twins she probably isn't very smart either.
Fast-forward to this morning when I hear said story..........smoke is not billowing out of my ears and I can't think of a single word I was thinking that is printable here.
I was ready to yank my kids out of class that day and just escape this rubbish..........I wanted to call this mother and mention someone of those unmentionable words I was referring to......I wanted to protect my kids, from an ADULT!
Instead, I talked to the principal.......and I decided the better lesson was to teach my children that people like this aren't worth our time and effort...........and therefore I choose to do nothing...
Its killing me not to say something.........I hope I'm doing the right thing.......I hope she gets Leprosy or some other equally horrible disease........mostly I hope that my kids don't put any stock into what one stupid adult has to say, and they know they are loved and respected by many others.......
Why do people never surprise me anymore...........why am I not shocked and dismayed that an adult would do this to a child............why do I think "it figures" instead of "how could anyone do that"............my cynicism toward the human race grew another leaf today.
Thanks a lot lady.
4 comments:
Oh. MyGod. I remember this story from the WTM Boards. It's a delicate process, teaching your kids that some people are just plain psycho and just aren't happy unless they aren't happy. Sounds like you're handling it well and showing immense strength. Thank goodness you have the teacher and principal in your corner!
Wow. I think you did the right thing. Sadly I can't say I would have done the right thing. Your kids will learn a great lesson from you.
did you ever comment to your daughter to not mark other people's clothing?
Yes I spoke with my daughter, although the incident was an accident.......she is 13yo and beyond marking things on purpose.
Post a Comment