You may have read that I homeschool my 15yo son, but you may not know that up until the middle of last year I also homeschooled my 13yo twins. Last year my daughter was quite lonely and decided she wanted to "try school" so we thought long and hard about it, researched the local schools and found a great compromise. We have charter schools here in California, and we found a nice, small one that focuses on high academic standards, parent involvement and outside experiences.........seemed like a great alternative for the time being.So, last year was a struggle as my never to school pre-teens worked to fit in and conform to the academic standards set before them. They did well.....I was happy with their progress and their happiness.
Fast forward to this year.......7th grade. Another great school year?.........not so much
It has been a struggle this year, not academically but socially.
They have been introduced to bullying, favoritism, girl drama, violence and pettiness.
And it shows........
I can't really blame them, they are surrounded by it every day so it is only natural that some of this would start to wear off..........but it is sad for me to see it happen. I tried for all those years to keep them from these things, and now it seems undone in a matter of months. I guess I should have known.........
So, they are asking for re-enrollment forms for kids who will be returning next year and I find myself wavering. Do I really want to subject my children to this again next year?
Of course the problem is that they are now incorporated in the school.......with their friends........the routine
So, what to do?
I don't know yet........but I'm seriously considering bringing them back home again next year.
My problem now is that I work full time and I've gotten used to just homeschooling one very capable and independent high schooler.
Can I go back to the daily grind with 3 children?
Can I juggle work and school?
Is it the best thing for all of us?
These are the questions I struggle with and I pray the answer comes soon........
No comments:
Post a Comment