Friday, February 8, 2008

Children of the Corn.....errr, I mean of God

Okay, so maybe they aren't THAT bad, but let me tell you that Friday afternoons are challenging. I am part of a team from our church that offers an after school program at the local elementary school called Good News Club sponsored by CEF-Christian Evangelism Fellowship. My 15yo son helps with this as well as my pastor and 2 other men from our church.

So it is a great group of kids.........really, they are just a little "active". We run the gammet of autistic to shy and quiet and everything inbetween. They are smart little people..........some too smart for their own good. I"m happy to be a part of this group as we share Christ's love with these kids.........I really feel it is a worthwile endeavor even if I do feel like a cocktail at the end of every Friday afternoon.

Of course being the only woman leader with a group of men who.... let's just say don't have a complete handle on higher expectations for children has made me frustrated at times, but does give me quite a few chuckles during a Friday afternoon too. To me I'm just impressed that that many men feel compelled enough to take time away from other things to be an influence in these kids lives. In this day and age so many men have no influence over their own children, let alone a strangers child, so I appreciate each of these men for their commitment.......they are great guys. In addition they are being a good example to my son as he develops into a man and a future father and leader.

No comments: