
As I wait to get into nursing school I work at our local hospital in admitting as a PBX Operator. I mentioned in another post about what exactly that job entails so I won't go into it here. However, one thing I do is deal with a lot of the nurses who call me and ask for things or need me to do things for them. This is part of my job.........it is even part of my job I usually enjoy..........
except.........
when I'm treated like I don't matter.
In my opinion, NOBODY likes to be treated like dirt. NOBODY! But, somehow certain nurses seem to think that the only ones that matter are them. Their problem, their needs, their patient, their department.
Does it really take that much extra effort on their part to say "please" or how about good bye before they click the receiver in your ear.
I don't think so.
The other funny phenomenon is that this lack of decent manners seems to manifest itself in specific departments. Amazingly, it is almost as if it is a job requirement to work in a specific unit to lose all resemblence of human courtesy.
I won't mention what departments seem especially affected by this disease, but suffice it to say that when my caller ID at work cites their extension I groan internally.
So as I see this happening I realize that not ALL nurses are like this.........some are really nice. My favorites are on the regular floors themselves........Surgical, Medical, OR.....they seem to get that I am a person just like them, with feelings, with a job to do that doesn't just revolve around them and their problem............others..........just don't get it.
Now I am reluctant to stereotype, so I will say that there are exceptions to every rule......its just the fact that there IS a rule that bothers me so. That so many nurses from one department could have a similar disposition surprises me....disappoints me.
This has been an eye opener for me as I consider my future position in the nursing world. My decisions on what area of nursing I want to enter will most likely be complicated by what I've learned here......the dream I had in my head is not the reality I see.
But then again...............what really is?
No comments:
Post a Comment