
I almost hate to admit this, but I'm fascinated with villians. I think it started as far back as Star Wars....instead of Han Solo being my hero like every other teen girl in the early 80's I was thinking......."what's behind Darth Vader's mask?"....what was he really like........what made him that way.......
Then there was Wizard of Oz.......my favorite character was always the witch........not that I liked her, but just that I thought she was so cool........she played the part so well, and she was so bad, it just made me think "how did that happen"
So, when I heard about Wicked a few years back I knew I had to read the book......(and I wished I lived closer to Broadway) but I haven't gotten around to it until now.
I'm still in the beginning, but this is a very fanciful book full of vivid illustration of a fantasy world most of us only see in Technicolor via Judy Garland. Really Oz is so much more than that......the original Baum books as well as this one unveil a complicated and deep community.....battle between good and evil, and sometimes those lines are blurred just as they are in real life. I'm anxious to see how this one turns out as there is a sequel Son of a Witch.....
Maybe its my own "Bad Girl" complex that makes me identify with the villians in stories........but I remind myself that its not that I LIKE the bad guy.........just that they really interest me.......ahh, I suppose if I ever put myself in therapy there is something really juicy to all this!!!!
Then there was Wizard of Oz.......my favorite character was always the witch........not that I liked her, but just that I thought she was so cool........she played the part so well, and she was so bad, it just made me think "how did that happen"
So, when I heard about Wicked a few years back I knew I had to read the book......(and I wished I lived closer to Broadway) but I haven't gotten around to it until now.
I'm still in the beginning, but this is a very fanciful book full of vivid illustration of a fantasy world most of us only see in Technicolor via Judy Garland. Really Oz is so much more than that......the original Baum books as well as this one unveil a complicated and deep community.....battle between good and evil, and sometimes those lines are blurred just as they are in real life. I'm anxious to see how this one turns out as there is a sequel Son of a Witch.....
Maybe its my own "Bad Girl" complex that makes me identify with the villians in stories........but I remind myself that its not that I LIKE the bad guy.........just that they really interest me.......ahh, I suppose if I ever put myself in therapy there is something really juicy to all this!!!!
2 comments:
I saw this on-stage in Chicago with my mom. We had no idea what it was about, just that there was a lot of hype. We got the cheapest seats in the very last row. It was so much fun! I have the soundtrack in the car. If you ever get a chance to see it, I would encourage it. It's fun even from the cheap seats! (hint: wear green)
I wish it was coming close to me, but I checked.....and its not :(
You bet I'll go see it if I ever do.
I'm halfway through the book and really enjoying it.
Post a Comment