Monday, February 2, 2009

Budget Cuts- Who Needs High School

Yep, more cuts. I mean really.......pretty soon they'll just cut out school all together because its too expensive.

Now you must remember that I live in one of the poorest counties in California.......woohoo! So the budget they had was marginal at best. But now............sheesh, we are lucky the building isn't being sold for parts.

Now my oldest is still homeschooled so I could care less about the public school system in his regard. And my twins, they go to a charter school that gets their own funding and is therefore immune to the budget cuts.

The rub is.........next year, the twins want to go to the high school. I'm not sold on this idea for many reasons. Not the least of these being the lack of funding and the constant downgrading of experiences, classes, and opportunities given to the high school students.

So, tonight..........6:30pm.....Paradise High School.........budget cut meeting.

I'll be there.

My children have specific requirements expected of them if they want to go to the high school.......high grades, involvement in either sports or some other activity and a serious attitude adjustment from their present standing.

So far, it isn't looking too good on the attitude front......but they are both committed to the grades and activities end of it.

We have a sucky high school up here...........we only have ONE high school up here........there are lots of drugs........lots of sex........lots of nothing good.

We will probably end up with a charter school arrangement and back to homeschooling.......but I still want to stay abreast of what is happening in my community and to the kids that we are supposed to be looking after.

No comments: