Wednesday, November 5, 2008

My Fellow Americans

Well the votes are cast and the ballots tallied and we have a new president.

It isn't who I voted for.


I'm disappointed............but not distraught.


Some people are distraught and I hope that you will reconsider that choice. Politics are a funny thing. People say things to get elected and in the end most of those things never come to fruition. The other thing about politics is that they are constantly changing.


4 years..........that's a term. What can happen in 4 years.........a child can graduate from high school or a young adult from college. A baby grows to a toddler. Those of us that are parents know that those things happen in a flash. So 4 years of Barack Obama may pass just as quickly.


Will he do some good? I certainly hope so. While I swing pretty far right....I know that our economy is in trouble..........big trouble. If Obama is the catalyst needed to create a change in that environment, than so be it.



Let's look at the bright side:


First and foremost.................PROP 8 passed. I certainly hope that the California courts got the message..............OUR VOTE COUNTS. You will not undermine our right to govern ourselves. You will not override our vote just because you have personal opinions contrary to ours. San Francisco mayor can kiss my &*#!!! (sorry........I had to throw that in)


We have retained enough Republicans in the House and Senate to maintain some control. A House majority would have meant that Democrats could bust any philabuster presented...........that didn't happen.

By Obama winning with so many of the Republican vote he will HAVE to swing farther toward the center, rather than far left, in order to keep his constituients happy. He has to a president for the entire United States..........not just the blue states.
We have made history here. Who, a hundred years ago...........hell 50 years ago or even 25 years ago would have thought that we would elect a black president. It speaks volumes about the people of the United States and how far they have come and how much they have learned about the human spirit. We should all be proud of that.


So.........while I'm pouting too.............I'm always the optimist and will consider the idea that for now.......this is what America wants. We'll just have to wait and see if it is what we actually need.


I have heard some Christians who choose not to be involved in politics use their Christianity as an excuse. We are think on things above, no on earth..........etc... I don't believe that this is God's desire. He gave us this world and asked us to govern it...........from the time of Adam & Eve, we have been in charge of our destiny. Good decisions and bad....but I believe it is actually our Christian duty TO be involved.


Bible verses that speak to this point........


A wicked ruler is as dangerous to the poor as a lion or bear attacking them – Proverbs 28:15


With good men in authority people rejoice, but with the wicked in power, they groan – Proverbs 29:2


When rulers are wicked their people are too, but good men will live to see the tyrants downfall – Proverbs 29:16


Where there is ignorance of God, the people run wild, but what a wonderful thing it is for a nation to know and keep His laws – Proverbs 29:18


What can we do as Christians to be responsible citizens.......


1. Christians need to pray every day for its leaders.
2. We need to register to vote.
3. We need to be informed regarding where the various parties stand on moral/Biblical issues.
4. We need to select, elect and actively support godly men and women, who are prepared to stand for public office.
5. We need to vote on every Election Day – whether municipal or national.

1 comment:

Wendy Mayo said...

I agree. Now we just need to do the best we can with what we've been given. Heck, we survived 8 years of
Bill! And, at least the people didn't elect Hillary!