Thursday, May 1, 2008

Science Fair Projects

Hmmmmm.....I wonder about the invention of the Science Fair Project. I wonder about the thinking behind this. Do we think by having a contest and requiring participation we will inspire children to become science minded?

It seems, that this is the school of thought......(no pun intended)

So, my children had a science fair project due today. So we knew about it a month or so ago and I want you to guess when they started their projects......

Give up??

That's right sportsfans...........yesterday!!

Did it inspire them? No.

Are they now MORE interested in science? No.

Have they learned something valuable? Yes.............you can take a science fair project scheduled for a month, start it the day before its due and still get an A.

I'm impressed.

How about going on a field trip? School budget cuts won't allow it.........liability........too much work??

How about kids focusing on a project of their choosing...........history..........science.......writing.....sewing..........do you think THAT might inspire someone? Nahhhhhh........then they wouldn't be well rounded, they would be focusing only on that which they are interested in or have an aptitude for.

We can't have that now can we?

Do I sound bitter? No........just disappointed that our education system continues to fail to "get it".........you know.........what education is REALLY about.......they really don't get it.

I can't wait to bring my kids back home.

We'll have a science fair.......and I'll send pictures :)

2 comments:

T said...

Oh I am so glad I homeschool!!

Urban Mom said...

I HATED the Science Fair in elementary school. Just the thought of it made me shudder. It made me dread Science class at all. Elated to be homeschooling my own kiddos in the matter!