Thursday, May 22, 2008

Graveyard


So, I was offered the possible opportunity to work the graveyard shift (none as the NOC) in the ER. A full time position with benefits. 3 days a week-12 hour shifts. 7pm to 7am.

What to do??!!

There is this part of me that says.......BENEFITS!!! As a person living the last 4 years without health insurance, this is a huge draw.

However, I worry about being able to sleep.........being able to function..........being able to be with my family.

2 of my children are in school for one more year, until they come home for high school and my high schooler will be going almost full time at the local college next year and drives himself.

So, I can see the possibility of sleeping during the day while they are at school a real option. Of course this summer with everyone home may be another story.

I went to work 6 months ago for the first time in 16 years because my husband's business has fallen off so much in the last 2 years. It is picking up a little........but not entirely where we need it to be. Right now I'm working about 30 hours a week......a couple of daytime shifts (9am-6pm) and a couple of swing shifts on the weekend (2-11pm)..........but its a no benefits position.

So, what do I do??

I'm not sure.........part of me says work less days per week and suck it up on those days.......part of me says that it will mess up my whole week. Which is worse.........working the 2:30-11pm shift and sometimes not seeing my kids at all on those days.............working days which works fine during the school year, but really puts a crimp in our summer.............work the NOC shift at night, sleep all day, but only 3 days a week.

What say you?

3 comments:

Urban Mom said...

Oh boy. That's a biggie. My sister, Pink Power Ranger, is a cop who is currently on overnights. She loves it, but she's also single and no kids. It crimps her style outside of work sometimes, though. But their dept rotates, so nobody is stuck ALL of the time. In Chicago, I know a cop who is on overnights, and they do it permanently. Is there someone who has a similar job that you could chat with? If not, maybe I can put you in e-mail touch with either PPR or the Chicago cop that I know, if either are up for it.
Good luck with your decision!

Redefining Paradise- Rachel said...

Thanks for the idea.......I will talk to the NOC folks in ER at the hospital and see what they say. Only problem is that one is older with grown kids and the other is a single young guy........not sure they could identify with my circumstance.
Another option has been thrown out and I think is the better option........Mon/Tues 7am-7pm and Wed NOC shift....my husband is off Mon/Tues so he would be home on the days I work and we would have the evenings as a family....Wed I would be home until 7pm and he gets home at 8pm, so they would only be w/o one of us for an hour or so. I think this might be the solution?!

Anonymous said...

Hey nice blog my friend. There are indeed variety of benefits to working at home and there are many work at home
business opportunities.For some people with young children or elderly parents that they must care for, working at home
is the only way to have a career.I really appreciate nice info on your blog.Keep up the good work.