Thursday, April 24, 2008

You've Been Expelled












So, yesterday I saw Expelled: No Intelligence Allowed ......by Ben Stein. I have to say that after being excited about this movie for months, the last week or so of negative comments I heard on a bulletin board I frequent caused me to go into seeing this movie with great trepidation.

I am happy to report that I found people's concerns about this movie being strictly a religion vs. science argument completely unfounded.

I was riveted by this movie not only because of my own interest in this subject, but because of the compelling arguments he made. This was not about religion..........this was about the scientific community's complete inability to consider the idea of Intelligent Design (ID).
I can't say that I was overjoyed with the movie.........I thought it left more unsaid than it did uncover, and I felt some of the points made were a stretch as well as manipulative. To me, I would have preferred a much more cut and dry documentary than a play on emotion that sometimes erupted. Overall I think the main argument was presented well and if nothing else it at least raised the question of bias in the scientific world. The next step is up to us to be informed and get educated.

What no one could answer.......and remains, in my mind, as the ultimate question is.........
"How can you consider yourself a scientist, or remain true to science's nature if you automatically exclude a hypothesis from any of your theories?"

IF........because you dislike the idea of a deity or higher power..........you dismiss the idea that they could be behind creation of life.........don't you automatically taint your views? Aren't ALL theories possible?? As scientists mustn't we not consider ALL options in order to validate our theories? I have a true problem with this..........and apparently so do scientists.

No one is asking you to believe in God.......or any particular God........only that as we teach science..........as we teach origins of life..........that we leave open for consideration the possibility of Intelligent Design. Is that too much to ask?

Apparently........it is.

An enlightening movie? For me........no. I've been asking these questions for years.........however to the majority of people in our country, we take for granted that either evolution is fact (It isn't by the way), we ignore it as unimportant to life in general (This is dangerous), or we compartmentalize our religion and our science as being incompatible at best and at worst as being true antagonists. Consider anythng..............because only THEN does true science begin.





3 comments:

T said...

Thanks for the movie review. I've been interested in seeing this. I've tried to avoid reading all the back and forth crap between people the last couple of weeks. I agree with you and the views you stted.

T said...

Oh hey I forgot to tell you - I tagged you so go check my blog to see what it is about.

Redefining Paradise- Rachel said...

Thanks for the comment and for the Tag! I'll post my answers and comment back at ya.
Happy Friday