(Poster excerpt......"Wouldn't it be easier to just accept that there are people out there that are better looking, smarter, wealthier and happier than you?" )Children's Books that didn't quite make it...
• You Are Different and That's Bad
• The Boy Who Died From Eating All His Vegetables
• Dad's New Wife Robert
• Fun Four-Letter Words to Know and Share
• The Kid's Guide to Hitchhiking
• Curious George and the High-Voltage Fence
• The Little Sissy Who Snitched
• Some Kittens Can Fly
• The Pop-Up Book of Human Anatomy
• Strangers Have the Best Candy
• Whining, Kicking, and Crying to Get Your Way
• You Were an Accident
• Things Rich Kids Have, But You Never Will
• Pop Goes the Gerbil and Other Great Microwave Games
• The Man in the Moon is Actually Satan
• Your Nightmares Are Real
• Eggs, Toilet Paper, and Your School
• Why Can't Mr. Fork and Mrs. Electrical Outlet Be Friends?
• Places Where Mommy and Daddy Hide Neat Things
• Daddy Drinks Because You Cry

Sorry but the sadist in me would have bought some of these books......I mean really, I think every kid should have a copy of Thngs Rich Kids Have, But You Never Will....you might as well get it out of the way early and save yourself all those years of "I wanna" and frankly, I'm convinced that all kids already have Whining, Kicking and Crying to Get Your Way downloaded into their hard drive upon birth.
So, go ahead.......write that book....there is a whole market out there for those of us trying to ruin our children's self image.......you know the ones, they don't cater to their child's every whim, they actually use the word no, they may even.....GASP!!!!.....spank their kids.........obviously causing permanent damage to children everywhere. We don't inflate grades or say "job well done" when we know half-hearted effort was given, we don't pretend life is fair and dole out compliments and praise in equal amounts just because the book says so.
Instead, we praise what is praiseworthy, we encourage the best........whatever that may be for that child. We discipline. We challenge our children and give them limits. We love each child individually for who they are, not what they have accomplished. In the end.........we parent. We are politically incorrect...........and I, for one, am proud of it. I hope my children follow in my footsteps...........I hope they make mistakes and have to apologize to their children someday......I hope they learn that not every effort is worthy of praise..........that to feel truly accomplished in something one must work for it. I hope they learn that failure is not the end of the world, and is, in fact, the beginning of education.

My greatest hope is that they learn that self-esteem is overrated and that the most important thing is not what we think of ourselves, but what God sees in us and what we show ourselves to be in the world. That in turn will prove in whose image we are truly made.
• You Are Different and That's Bad
• The Boy Who Died From Eating All His Vegetables
• Dad's New Wife Robert
• Fun Four-Letter Words to Know and Share
• The Kid's Guide to Hitchhiking
• Curious George and the High-Voltage Fence
• The Little Sissy Who Snitched
• Some Kittens Can Fly
• The Pop-Up Book of Human Anatomy
• Strangers Have the Best Candy
• Whining, Kicking, and Crying to Get Your Way
• You Were an Accident
• Things Rich Kids Have, But You Never Will
• Pop Goes the Gerbil and Other Great Microwave Games
• The Man in the Moon is Actually Satan
• Your Nightmares Are Real
• Eggs, Toilet Paper, and Your School
• Why Can't Mr. Fork and Mrs. Electrical Outlet Be Friends?
• Places Where Mommy and Daddy Hide Neat Things
• Daddy Drinks Because You Cry

Sorry but the sadist in me would have bought some of these books......I mean really, I think every kid should have a copy of Thngs Rich Kids Have, But You Never Will....you might as well get it out of the way early and save yourself all those years of "I wanna" and frankly, I'm convinced that all kids already have Whining, Kicking and Crying to Get Your Way downloaded into their hard drive upon birth.
So, go ahead.......write that book....there is a whole market out there for those of us trying to ruin our children's self image.......you know the ones, they don't cater to their child's every whim, they actually use the word no, they may even.....GASP!!!!.....spank their kids.........obviously causing permanent damage to children everywhere. We don't inflate grades or say "job well done" when we know half-hearted effort was given, we don't pretend life is fair and dole out compliments and praise in equal amounts just because the book says so.
Instead, we praise what is praiseworthy, we encourage the best........whatever that may be for that child. We discipline. We challenge our children and give them limits. We love each child individually for who they are, not what they have accomplished. In the end.........we parent. We are politically incorrect...........and I, for one, am proud of it. I hope my children follow in my footsteps...........I hope they make mistakes and have to apologize to their children someday......I hope they learn that not every effort is worthy of praise..........that to feel truly accomplished in something one must work for it. I hope they learn that failure is not the end of the world, and is, in fact, the beginning of education.

My greatest hope is that they learn that self-esteem is overrated and that the most important thing is not what we think of ourselves, but what God sees in us and what we show ourselves to be in the world. That in turn will prove in whose image we are truly made.
1 comment:
I love this post! There are so many folks out there that are horribly screwing up their kids and in turn screwing up society. I have a couple of idiots like that as neighbors.
Post a Comment