Friday, March 7, 2008

I'm getting the bug........not A bug

The gardening bug that is. I'm really starting to think about Spring and all the things I want to plant. Unfortunately my husband tore out my raised beds to make a new patio out back so I'll have to start from scratch this year.


I've done Square Foot Gardening for years now and I would never garden any other way. I can't tell you how simple it makes gardening and for someone like me that is a necessity.


You see, I have not just a brown thumb......it truly is closer to black. I can't keep a flower alive to save my life. I feel guilty every time someone buys me a potted plant because I know it is destined for the garbage can. Of course my closest friends know better than to torment any plant in such a way...........but my mother in law still hasn't figured out that she has yet to see ANY plant she's given me survive until her next visit.


So what shall I plant this year.....I think not just about the things we like to eat, but what is so bloody expensive at the store.......and these days that includes just about all produce anymore.


So on my list are:

Tomatoes (cherry and beefsteak)
Peppers (from bells to jalapenos........we like peppers)
Lettuce and Spinach
Zucchini (repeat after me.........I will only plant one squash plant, I will only plant one......)
Snap Peas
Onions (green especially)
Strawberries
I may try some garbage can potatoes too.......but we'll see, this is a really cool trick though so I'd like to give it a run

2 comments:

Urban Mom said...

Oh my gosh, it all sounds fantastic! I can't grow anything here -- no space for it. But I love going to the local farmer's markets. It's always great to get stuff that is actually FRESH. Have fun!

Redefining Paradise- Rachel said...

Try containers......I was able to grow a ton of tomatoes in one flower pot...