Monday, February 25, 2008

Living in a Material World

Does anyone else hear Madonna in the background echoing "materiallllll"

Okay, I digress

I picked this book up after hearing it mentioned once and thought it would be a cool picture book to thumb through. However, after reading the Introduction I soon realized I would have to read this book cover to cover........every word.

So I did

This is an INCREDIBLE book.....and I recommend it not only for every adult, but I plan on having all my children read this book as well.

This book was done by the Sierra Club back in 1995 and was an experiment in trying to compare the world's cultures with each other based on several similarities as well as differences. The book specifically showcases how people live in different parts of the world.....what they drive, their home, typical belongings, clothing......it also gives great detail about the history of each company and a brief outlook on the country's future (which now 12 years later may or may not apply). I also found out that they produced a video based on this book and I am now on the hunt to find it!
A real eye opener for anyone who thinks they KNOW how the other half lives. I cried, I laughed, I was encouraged and depressed.......but overall I was educated.

What a spoiled child I am........not just as an American......but me, individually. I am bent out of shape because I can't afford to have my cable movie channels anymore or my TV in the bedroom is too small, or I "need" another pair of shoes.......I am so blessed with what I have and where I live that it shames me to think about how materialistic I have become.

Even more than that though, is a look into what makes people happy. When you read these stories you see a sense of people.......and money, does not make one happier. Now of course that isn't to say that starving people in Ethiopia are happier.......just that WHAT makes them happy.......WHAT they wish and dream for.....are much nobler than most of the wishes and dreams of us "civilized" citizens. We could learn something from that.

Well I've been wordy enough, but truly I can not recommend this book enough......and if you are teaching your kids about world history, culture, geography........you must include this book!!!

Life changing.......

2 comments:

Urban Mom said...

I know what you mean. I can NOT hear my 4yo say, "it's not fair!" I tell her that considering how so many the world lives, she should thank her lucky stars that life is not fair! Interesting post!

Urban Mom said...

...that would be, how many IN the world LIVE...