
I got my foot in the door at the hospital while I'm waiting to get into nursing school. I work in admitting as a PBX Operator. Let me tell you something about being an operator.......this job is no joke. You don't just answer phones. Even if you did, it is a great accomplishment. We are a small hospital in a little town but we still have over 900 employees and a couple hundred patients any one time..........and one little ole operator.
So what do I do? I answer phones.........I page dr.'s..........I page dr.'s for other dr.'s.........I call Code Blues (like tonight in ICU, that will get your blood pumping).....I admit new babies that have been born (I like this part!)......you page maintenance for the ER when the toilets back up........and then you send someone to look for them because they aren't answering their pager (ask me how I know).......you create schedules for Same Day Surgery, Cardiology, Radiology, etc...and try to make all the paperwork is in order before they get there. You answer "I can't give out that information" to approximately 53 people each day.........you ring Room #000 37 times in one day because she's a mom in the hospital and her teenager wants to know can she go to a friend's house, is the washing machine supposed to make that funny noise, when are you going to be coming home, and where is the fire extinguisher. You explain to the nice old lady that the reason Aunt Mildred isn't answering her phone is because she can't hear the phone ring. You connect the 2 month pregnant mom to the ER nurse to help explain whether or not its safe for her to go to the gym. And at the end of the night you help the wife of the Code Blue patient find a hotel to stay in, give her the bag she left behind while she was tending to her husband and you tell her you are praying for her and her husband.

You call it a night, go home, and say job well done...........
So, what did you do tonight???
No comments:
Post a Comment