Monday, January 7, 2008

John and I are friends again........


So, I finished Travels with Charley tonight and I just have to say that I am so happy I decided to read this book. I'm now even encouraged to read Grapes of Wrath again........I liked it that much! What an insightful guy. I plan on having my 15yo read this book next as I think he will really enjoy it. I hope that everyone out there gets encouraged to see the country we live in.......don't just read about it, watch it on tv, hear about it from friends........but really see it. This book especially encouraged me to look off the beaten path...........some of his best adventures were in the unknown spaces of our country. I definitely recommend this book!


And actually I have someone I would like to recommend this book to.........a neat couple who started a blog awhile back about quittin the rat race and living on the road. We were looking for an RV one weekend and I went searching online.........and I found them there(and I think they would love Travels with Charley)........where he had started a blog, RV Dreams and I was hooked. I was so intrigued and fascinated by this idea of giving it all up for something more that I took 3 days and read the entire first year of their story....... Even if you never do what they do, its worth reading about their experience. When the kids are out, my husband and I hope to find our own RV dream. Check them out!

So, what's next you ask? Well........its Orphan Trains of course. Yeah, I know......there is no rhyme or reason to my book choices.......

But, I do have a plan...........no books from the same category in a row. Otherwise, I'll wait until December to read my non-fiction books.

I bought this book many moons ago after visiting Virginia City, Nevada and checking out their museum there on what happened to many of the children who worked on the railroad......fascinating and tragic at the same time.



I wanted to mention that I have an ongoing book.......The Daily Bible. Now understand that so far I am on Day Seven.........and yes it is January 7th, so.........so far so good. I even got through those awful geneology verses.......well not really. I must confess that I actually glanced over them for familiar names and went onto the more interesting parts. I have tried to do this before and usually give up somewhere around Exodus........this Bible is different though. It has an OT passage, NT passage and a Psalm or Proverb each day........so I tell myself if I can get through the OT........I'll reward myself with the Psalm.

So, I'm being flippant about this.......I'm sorry, I'm really not irreverant. You see.......I'm having trouble with my church........or I should put it that I'm having trouble with the PEOPLE IN my church. I have contemplated whether I should tell you all this or not........but this is really me and this is really my life..........good, bad and indifferent...........so here it is.



Familiarity breeds contempt

Say it again..........Familiarity breeds contempt

All together now...........Familiarity.........you know the rest.

People annoy me.........some people annoy me greatly. I annoy people.......I annoy some people greatly. I'm okay with this. Sometimes I even do it on purpose. But...there are some people that no matter how much they annoy you they are still your friend.

What I'm finding right now is that sometimes they can be your friend and still you should find distance........for a time. My church is my friend.........but right now, I feel I need distance. Does that make sense? Anyone else out there ever feel this way? I don't want to leave.......I just don't want to talk to anyone there. I don't want to go to church, but I do. I care about this place......I care about the people in it, I just don't want to talk to any of them.

Crazy.......go ahead, say it........I know you're thinking it. Its just me. I'm a recluse at heart. I can be the most social butterfly on the flower, but deep inside I'm a caterpillar. Wrap me up nice & tight in a cocoon no one else can get in and I'm good.


For awhile

but then

I get lonely

and I start to break out

and become a butterfly again

and THEN I want to talk to people again!

2 comments:

Christy B said...

About the church thing . . . and needing space . . . I get it.

My favorite people go to my church. And lately, I resent being there.

So, I get it. I have nothing useful to contribute, but I get it.

Redefining Paradise- Rachel said...

Thanks.....sometimes just knowing you aren't alone is enough