So, I've made resolutions in the past and I've come up with about a 50% success rate. I never did organize my closets or take up running a marathon but I have lost weight, read books and taken more time to spend with family and friends. So with this in mind I have relegated myself to the masses of other individuals making New Year's Resolutions.
For 2011 I Resolute To:
1. Kick the sugar habit
I have a serious problem.........SERIOUS.......I love sweets, and I mean all sweets, I'm not picky and I've been known to pick anything covered in chocolate up off the floor and stuff it into my mouth. I have come to the realization that the only way to kick this addiction is to go cold turkey. Yep, I have had no refined sugar, or really any sugar of any kind (Low-Carb Phase 1 of the South Beach Diet is keeping me in check) for 2 days now. I can tell I'm staring to go a little crazy as I eyeballed a lone M&M in my trail mix bag...who would know? Anyway, 2 weeks of no sugar...no cakes, no brownies, the peanut butter bars and Rocky Road candy still in my fridge is off limits. Are you aware how difficult this is to do when there are 2 teenage boys that eat anything and everything...I mean really, DO YOU?? My daughter is joining me on this kick and she's doing a great job too......Praying and drug induced sleep may be the only way to get my own body to keep doing this for 12 more days though.
2. Write...more specifically, write for 30 minutes at least three times a week
Something, anything. Blogging, NaNoWriMo revisions, email prompts...I don't care but I can't lose the momentum I gained in November. My book needs help and I am hoping to join a writing group in February when they open up to new members. If that doesn't help me stay focused, well then......I'll just write shopping lists and notes to excuse my teenage boy's behavior in class.
3. Get Out.....of my house, that is. Once a week minimum
I have a tendency to be a homebody. I like my home, my couch, my A/C and heater and especially my television with surround sound. I have to get out of here...at least once a week that is......not shopping or dentist appointments, or even school.......but do something fun. See a movie, visit Farmer's Market, Lunch with a friend or catch a local ballgame.....whatever it is, I'm doing it!
That's it.......I can't handle more than that....the whole Top 10 List that Letterman's is always taunting us with.......doesn't work with resolutions (I tried one year and failed in 10 different ways). My keys to making resolutions work.
Keys to Successful Resolutions
1. Keep it simple, don't make it so complicated or specific that achieving it becomes impossible. No "I'll exercise every day" or "I'll read"....too much pressure, and too vague. Make it specific, but doable. Start small and you can always do more, but if you do less you'll feel like a loser...and frankly you will be by definition, sorry I didn't make the rules
2. Short list it. Don't give yourself too many things to focus on, I think no more than three is a good number. More than that and you start juggling and nothing gets done.
3. Keep it rounded. Vary things so all your resolutions don't revolve around one thing. Yeah, we all wanna lose 30 pounds but if your resolutions are to follow a diet, exercise, keep a food journal and join a gym...you may find yourself giving up when one of your columns fall and the rest come tumbling after. Think Mind, Body, Spirit.....do one thing that expands your mind, one your body and one your spirit...well balanced and doable.
So good luck with your 2011........Mine is starting off with a sugar cessation headache, one blog post and writing prompt down, and still in my pajamas after two days.......I say 2 out of 3 ain't bad for January 2nd.
No comments:
Post a Comment