Then there was Saturday afternoon.
That's when it started........3pm to be precise. And then it all went downhill from there.
I get a call from the hospital.......2:30 PBX did not show up for work, when called she states she requested the day off weeks ago..........yet never bothered to see her name on the schedule that has been posted for the last 2 weeks.......hmmmmm????
Rachel comes into work to work the remaining 7 hours of her shift.
Rachel gets to work, checks in at the ER and is then informed that she is scheduled to work the NOC shift in ER that night. WHAT??? I don't work weekends.............
Call to the boss confirms that 6 weeks ago or more that I agreed to work this night.......okay I don't remember but okay.
But wait.......I'm already working a 7 hour shift............then a 12 hour shift?? That's not going to work.
So I combine the two jobs and end up pulling a 17 hour day. Nice!
So Sunday morning rolls around and my relief comes in..........not a moment too soon since I'm going on hour 16 at that point.
I notice that something is amiss. And then, the tears start. She can't work today........boyfriend trouble, housing issues, loss of a pet..........all since I saw her last night. Sooooo........I start calling around to see who can come in. Over an hour later and now into my 17th hour I get one person to come in on their day off, another to come in early. Whew, don't think I could have stayed another 12 hours.
Crisis over..........right?
Wrong.
7pm Sunday rolls around. A call from the hospital. NOC shift ER person can't come in.
Are you F%$#ing kidding me. (sorry, but this is really how I felt at this point)
More phone calls, more people to shift around, including a new girl who has not worked a solo shift in the ER yet................hey initiation by fire, right??? What's the problem.
So we get the shift covered, again by shuffling people around, and I pray for the best.
Fast forward to this morning............NOC shift replacement looks like she got hit by a Mac truck, I'm informed that we never instructed new girl that the computers go down at midnight and you have to do everything manually until it comes back up, and that's when it hits me.........
I'm finally not On-Call anymore..............and I have not been so relieved in such a very long time.
Now that I'm not On-Call I plan to drink heavily, cuss often, and try to get through my own 3 12hour shifts over the next 3 days and call it good.
And if someone calls me next weekend to come in???
Sorry............unavailable :)
No comments:
Post a Comment