At least when it comes to blogging.
I've been a slacker........but I have a life you know.
Not really, but it sounded good.
Actually I spent my weekend in various stages of arguments with all three of my teenagers.
Schoolwork not done, progress reports, skipping church, attitude, arguing, just generally being mean and unfair.
You know, typical mom stuff.
Most of the time I really love having older children.........other days I long for the time when gurgling was all the noise they made.
I know this time will pass quickly and I want to give my kids the upbringing they deserve.......but sometimes its just so darn hard. I say things I regret, I do things I don't want to do, I literally feel sick to my stomach when I have to say no to things I know they really want to do.
That's part of being a mom.......I get it.
Why can't they just cooperate all the time.........don't they know how much easier things would be. One of my teens this weekend made a bad choice.......his answer........"Mom, I've been a good kid my whole life, and I just wanted to know what it felt like to do something I wasn't supposed to."
How do I respond to that. I can understand that.........it makes sense. He wants to keep things to himself more, have things that are just his own secrets. So after getting angry, I talked to him.......told him I understood about his need to be his own person and that there are now parts of his life that are his alone. He shares more with us than most kids his age.......I can't fault him for wanting his privacy in some areas. The thing I wanted to remind him of.........was that making choices to be independent is important, but more important is to make sure that those choices don't change who you are and that you know yourself and who you want to be as you make those choices.
I hope it sunk in.
1 comment:
I remember doing the same thing. I wanted to be the bad kid just for once. My parents said part of that choice was the consequence for being the bad kid.
I learned from that incident that the consequences for being the good kid were better.
You're a good mom, keep at it.
Post a Comment