Saturday, March 15, 2008

Change of Venue

So I've been contemplating my future career and what is really going to make me happy. As my kids are all now teenagers and I have to think about the future I really am questioning what I want to do when I grow up.



I know its medicine


Its always been medicine


When I was 12 years old I sent away for college catalogs for medical schools and would plan out my college classes.....yes, I know.........a little obsessive.


But its in my blood, I love it...........anything medical. Anything that involves blood and organs and breathing and disease.......yes, I know......a little diabolical.


As I've been working at the hospital I've gotten a new appreciation and a new outlook on certain aspects of medicine. I have been looking at becoming a nurse for awhile now. Specifically, an Emergency Room Nurse. In my job I actually have some dealings with these nurses in our facility so I've learned a little about the nature of ER nurses and the department they work in. Some good........but some not so good. It has seriously made me reconsider my choice here.
Would I like working in one department, every day, for years? Would I like working with the nurses I've thus far come in contact with from the ER? Would I be happy cleaning up vomit and diarrhea, calling parents of OD victims, watching parents waste tax payer dollars bringing their kid with the sniffles into the ER?


I'm beginning to believe the answer is no.


On the other hand however, I have gained new appreciation for another member of the medical staff. The Respiratory Therapist. What I thought was that they dealt in mucus......well that leaves me out. What I've found is that it is so much more than that. They intubate trauma patients and they help newborns breath on their own, they maintain ventilators for the critically ill and they help asthma patients overcome attacks. In other words, they do a lot of things.......in varying departments of the hospital.


This appeals to me.


I like the autonomy of this position, I like the variety of experiences you can encounter in any given day. So, thus I've intrigued.


So I've applied or this program......and I made it on the waiting list (I was late in applying or they tell me I would have made the program)......but there is still hope I may get in in the Fall.
Now I start new prayers.........ones of clarity for the future.....ones for acceptance into the program......ones for balance as I try to combine family and self.


So pray for me.......I'm excited about the possibilities, and I have renewed excitement about what my future in medicine may be.

2 comments:

Glenna said...

You've just named exactly what I like about being an RT: the autonomy and the variety. At my hospital they rotate us around so that when we walk in the door we never know what we'll be working and I like that. Some days I'm working critical care in a unit, some days Assess/Treat on the floors. Some days BiPaps. And lately they've been sending me up to Peds to train. It really is a fun job and you're responsible for yourself. It's a great job!

Redefining Paradise- Rachel said...

Thank you so much for reaffirming what my observation has been....our hospital works the same way. Uh oh, now that I know you are a RT I may pick your brain here and there :)